In my defense, my dad was trash-talking me, and I lost by two frames. He thrives in high-pressure scenarios, which is perhaps why he finds Gordon Ramsay so intriguing. In the eleventh grade, my dad once "accidentally" smacked me in the head with his Wii controller during a particularly contentious game of virtual tennis. Both competitive play scenarios resulted in my feelings getting a little hurt, a sign that I should refrain from further Wii sports with family members.
I've cried everywhere: on the metro, in multiple airports, walking down the street, sitting on a bench in Austria, on a boat in the Baltic Sea, in the shower. I cry when I laugh too hard at a friend's joke or when I'm so overwhelmed that the only way I can express myself is through the inadvertent pouring of water out my eyeballs. I can't help it. When my grandfather died, my nana handed out individual, plastic-wrapped packages of tissues to my entire family. Irish people cry a lot. A lot of that has to do with the drinking, but we're a melancholy bunch.
I read about a personality type psychologists call "highly-sensitive." When I think back to my childhood musings about the adult person I would become, I expected that, like teachers and adults I knew told me, I'd grow a thicker skin. I thought that I'd be be able to go about the world with a less penetrable demeanor.
Sometimes I think my propensity to take comments way too personally has a physical manifestation. I bruise easily, from the lightest bumps into walls or tables. A television blasting too loudly gives me a headache. On the less deleterious side of the spectrum, the soothing voices of kind people and soft touches, like someone running his fingers through my hair, make my head tingle. My skin peels in the cold and burns in the sun. Some days, the world just physically feels like too much.
I'm frequently told that I'm intense. I warn all potential boyfriends of this, even though I don't really know what that means. I also hear that I'm enthusiastic, and my boss recently told me that my passion for science is not easily cultivated. I take way too many things personally, and to my detriment, I see anything I do as a reflection on me as a person. I once didn't see a woman flagging me down to hold the elevator at the metro, and she proceeded to find me on the platform and tell me how incomprehensibly rude I was. I then had to get on the train with people who heard this reproach, trying to hold back tears and avert my gaze from their judgement. I couldn't forget this incident all day.
These two seemingly different concepts, enthusiasm and passion compared to sensitivity and anxiety, are symbiotically linked. One can't exist without the other. The most passionate and driven people I know are the most sensitive. One of my college roommates works for her law school clinic, and her last case resulted in her client, a man incarcerated for nearly 30 years, getting parole. This same friend is also so sensitive that whenever I was sad, she was sad, too. She would cry any time I was crying, feeling so defeated that despite her genuine efforts to be a good friend and pull me out of my depression, there wasn't anything anyone could do to make me not feel like crying all day and napping all afternoon and watching copious amounts of Grey's Anatomy.
What are people like me to do? I can't expect the world to change just for me. But I also wish that, in the professional world specifically, being an emotional thinker was a more valued quality. Emotional thinking is innate. The power of human empathy is a favorable adaptation, especially for women. And we need to stop trying to suppress it.
I recently read a New York Times piece by psychiatrist Julie Holland arguing this very point. Women are, by nature, more emotional than men, and for good reason. Holland says, "Some research suggests that women are often better at articulating their feelings than men because as the female brain develops, more capacity is reserved for language, memory, hearing and observing emotions in others."
She reveals some other alarming facts: at least one in four women in America take a psychiatric medication, compared with one in seven men. Women are more likely than men to receive a diagnosis of depression or anxiety. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (S.S.R.I.s), the most commonly prescribed class of psychiatric medications, can make women less interested in sex, less empathetic, and generally numb.
Holland nails it with this:
I recently read a New York Times piece by psychiatrist Julie Holland arguing this very point. Women are, by nature, more emotional than men, and for good reason. Holland says, "Some research suggests that women are often better at articulating their feelings than men because as the female brain develops, more capacity is reserved for language, memory, hearing and observing emotions in others."
She reveals some other alarming facts: at least one in four women in America take a psychiatric medication, compared with one in seven men. Women are more likely than men to receive a diagnosis of depression or anxiety. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (S.S.R.I.s), the most commonly prescribed class of psychiatric medications, can make women less interested in sex, less empathetic, and generally numb.
Holland nails it with this:
"Crying isn't just about sadness. When we are scared, or frustrated, when we see injustice, when we are deeply touched by the poignancy of humanity, we cry. And some women cry more easily than others. It doesn't mean we're weak or out of control. At higher doses, S.S.R.I.s make it difficult to cry. They can also promote apathy and indifference. Change comes from the discomfort and awareness that something is wrong; we know what's right only when we feel it. If medicated means complacent, it helps no one."
I left work this past Friday and cried to a good friend on the phone - not because I was sad, but just because I was overwhelmed. And miraculously, I felt better. Just a few minutes later, I was laughing at his jokes. My crying is not a sign a weakness; it's a physical manifestation of existence in the world. And that's okay.
So, here's what I think we should do: adopt the Kimmy Schmidt life motto. Take everything ten seconds at a time. When that ten seconds is up, just start another ten seconds. You can do anything for ten seconds. She is, after all, unbreakable. And despite my tears, so am I.
No comments:
Post a Comment